Monday, March 22, 2010

Random Monday Memories #1 . . .

For several weeks I've been thinking about doing a regular post about my memories. Last Monday while I was visiting Marie
I read her post 'Random Monday Memories'. I loved the title for the post. I emailed Marie asked her if she would mind me using the same title.
She graciously agreed to let me use her idea!
Thank you Marie!


The town I grew up in had an interesting hardware store filled to the brim with a variety of items. I loved to browse through Billings Hardware. I especially liked to look at the toys & dolls. The Poor Pitiful Pearl doll intrigued me.

Pearl had a plain face. You've heard the expression,
"She was so ugly , she was cute."
Pearl came complete with a simple calico dress . . .
and a fancy little dress so she could transform into a vision of beauty.
I always secretly wanted to own a Pearl doll.

Another doll I secretly wanted was a topsy turvey Cinderella doll.

This is the closest picture I could find to the Cinderella doll.


One year for my birthday, Grandma Minnie took me to
Billings Hardware to pick out a doll.

I fell in love with this precious Madame Alexander doll.
I was so thrilled that I finally owned a doll
from Billings. She's been with me for all these years.


Thank you for letting me share my memories with you.
Hope you'll visit again next Monday for more memories.


14 comments:

Annie Joy said...

Loved the memories of your dolls. I had a Madame Alexander "Cissy" doll, but my favorite was my Ginny doll. Every year, my Aunt Ann would take me to Miss Cawthons Gift Shop to spend my birthday money on new clothes for Ginny. Thanks for taking me down memory lane with you!

Kerin said...

How cute is she?! I love her sun hat!
I forgot all about some of the dolls that I have in storage, until I read your post.
I have a Madame Alexander doll; she is Little Red Riding Hood.
I should find her....
Have a great day.
p.s. hope all your snow is melting!

Darlene said...

What great memories of your favorite dolls. My mom didn't have many dolls growing up so therefore I had a LOT. My mom's favorite dolls are the Madame Alexander dolls. She has a case full of them now.

Hope you are warming up and your snow is melting.♥

Oklahoma Granny said...

My sister had a Poor Pitiful Pearl doll and I was always a bit envious that it was hers instead of mine. I've never seen a Cinderella doll but my SIL gave my daughter a Red Riding Hood doll like the Cinderella one in the photo. It was Red on one end and on the other it was the Grandmother but if you lifted the GM's bonnet up it the Big Bad Wolf was under it. Your Madame Alexander doll is a priceless treasure to cherish for years to come.

Elena said...

So sweet. My last baby doll that my mom got me was a Madame Alexander Doll. My sister had one too. They have the cutest faces!

Simple Home said...

I think you chose a wonderful doll, although I enjoyed seeing the others too. So nice that you kept her.
Blessings,
Marcia

Rhondi said...

Hi Carol
What a precious memory. I can only remember one doll. It was a Barbara Ann Scott doll. She was a famous Canadian skater and the doll came with skates and a cute skating costume that was red with white fur trim.
Hugs, Rhondi

Melissa Miller said...

How precious Carol!

Happy Spring! ~Melissa :)

Patsy said...

Now I know why mother called us Pitiful Pearl when we tuned up to cry.
Patsy

Sue said...

Hi Carol,
I love sharing memories and reading of others memories, I really enjoyed this one of yours.
I remember getting a Madam Alexander doll when I was little too, and when I became an adult I collected them for years. And I still have them.
I hope you will share more memories in future post. This was such a fun post.
Blessings,
Sue

Kelly said...

I love the memories of your dolls. I've never seen these before. I had other beloved dolls, and your post got me to thinking about mine. I still have some and maybe later this week or next week I'll take some photos of some of mine and do a post on them. I hope you don't mind if I do. Memories are so precious and they are fun to share. Thanks for sharing some of yours.

Cindy said...

Carol, my eyes bugged out when I saw "Poor Pitiful Pearl!" My younger sister had that doll and loved it. Though the doll is long gone, we have never forgotten that unusual doll with the unusual name. Occasionally one will pop up in a collectible shop.
What a nice story.

Jenny said...

Thanks for the memory of the topsy turvey doll. I haven't thought of those in years.

marie said...

I remember seeing that Pearl doll -she is so cute in her calico dress! I never had a Madame Alexander doll but my daughters have quite a few. They're such beautiful dolls.

I love reading other peoples memories....they always trigger more of mine!

Have a great week.