Monday, December 8, 2008

Oldies But Goodies. . .

Today I'm sharing pictures of our large Christmas tree. There are several Hallmark ornaments on the tree that I have collected, but the most valuable & special ornaments are those that bring back warm & wonderful memories.


Click on tree to view ornaments up close. . .

Here are just a few of my 'oldies but goodies'. . .
This is the Santa I received at my 3rd grade Christmas party in 1960. Mrs. Young was my teacher. I remember our class walking around the corner from Highland School to her house to watch the inauguration of John Kennedy.

This sweet little angel was the Christmas party favor given to each child in my 2nd grade class. I have vivid memories of my teacher, Mrs. Aycock, teaching us to sing Silent Night, giving special attention to accenting the 't' at the end of each lyric that ended with a 't'.



My Grandma Ruby was a crafty lady. In the mid '70s she created many ceramic pieces. One year she made these ornaments for Bob & me.




Even though this glittery star has lost one of its points I still tuck it between tree branches each year. Bobby made it in Sunday School class when he was 2 years old.


I'm so glad you took time out your busy schedule to stop by for a visit today! I appreciate each of you & enjoy it so much when you leave a comment!


18 comments:

Naturegirl said...

Each one a treasure! I always sit and ponder the memories as I take ornaments out of the dusty boxes..filled with family memories..each one has a specail story on how it came to be..on the tree!Happy holidays!

Shelley said...

Loved seeing all your different ornaments! Had to laugh at the glitter star! My mom still has the one I made too and hangs it on her tree!

Melissa Miller said...

Hi Carol,

Your Christmas tree is so beautiful. You have really captured a timeless warmth.

You made your blog snow. How neat!

Take Care, Melissa :)

Anonymous said...

AWWW Carol, what a sentimental tree you have. Big too. :)

Hugs,
Chris

Mary said...

Your tree looks Beautiful
And beautiful memeories on the Ornaments. I had not heard the one about going to watch John F K.
Have a good one today.
Love you
M

Dawn Marie said...

what great memories! i would love to have something from when i was in grade school.

i havent put out my special ornaments from when our kids were little yet. after seeing this perhaps tonight after work..I'll go digging! Its a beautiful tree.

Tardevil said...

Awww...the best kind of tree ever...the sentimental tree! How sweet those ornaments/memories are.

Terrie's Lil' Piece of Serenity said...

How wonderful to have a Christmas tree full of Christmas Memories. Your tree is georgous!!!
Hugs, Terrie

Tootsie said...

that is just wonderful! my mom has several of my grade one clay ornaments on the tree again this year...my kids were laughing at them...my son asked "grammy why do you have dog poop hanging on your tree?"
she answers..."oh sweetie that is not dog poop...that is the bell your mom made me for christmas when she was in grade one! see...there is still a little glitter left on it!"
yes...I made a bell that is more similar looking to dog poop than it is to a bell....I beg her to get rid of it every year...and every year she tells me to shut up and get away from her tree!

Happy To Be/ Gl♥ria said...

Oh Carol these are all so sweet and so many memories ..just loved your post today..I have an award fro you so come by and get it...hugs and smiles Gloria

the voice of melody said...

Beautiful tree, Carol! And I like the star because although it's not "perfect", it's so very special. :)

Bo said...

Hi Carol...I did enlarge your great tree and saw some wonderful ornaments on it...family photos, cars, houses, a stagecoach I think.. but my favorite is the tattered gold star Bobby made!
;-) Bo

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

Oh, Carol..Those are the best ornaments...the ones that have a memory attached. I am a retired teacher, so my heart was really warmed by the fact that 2 of the ornaments came from favorite teachers. But the best of all is the glittery star with the missing leg...hugs...Debbie

Patsy said...

Loved seeing your treasures. You have a great blog
Patsy

tincanlily said...

Love the snow!!!!! I have seen it on a few blogs. We had a dusting the other night! My kids (23 and 20) still look forward to getting out their favorite ornaments. I love the star. What a nice gift you received.
It is such a busy time. I am just getting around to catching up on all my favorite blogs.
denise

Marci @All Things Wonderful said...

I adore your tree. I love that you still have ornaments from your childhood. What a treasure!

Linda said...

Your tree is beautiful and what wonderful keepsake oranments with happy memories..hugs, Linda

Sharon/primthyme said...

I love your trees ,you did a superb job & I love your blog.
Please stop by my blog & enter my Giveback Giveaway !
Prim Hugs & Blessings,
Sharon