Friday, December 19, 2008

Another Christmas Book. . .

I'm recommending another wonderful Christmas book for you to read to the children in your family. This is another book that I used in my classroom for many years. I know you'll love this book as much as I do!!





This delightful story will remind you of the bygone days of old-fashioned country Christmases! Ruthie is a small-town girl whose family finally receives the honor of choosing the Christmas tree for their town--and sure enough she and her papa find the perfect balsalm. However, World War I comes and Papa leaves. Ruthie and her mother have more worries than they expected.This is a heart warming story of wartime heartache, but it still manages to perfectly capture the Christmas spirit and the true meaning of the holidays. The prose is gentle and folksy, and the illustrations beautiful & full of detail.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you Carol, I'll see if I can find this one for my grands. You and Elizabeth are so great about reminding us of books gone by.

Hugs,
Chris

Patsy said...

I thank you, these books are great.Merry Christmas Carol to you and family.

Bo said...

This sounds like a perfect read for Christmas if even just for myself...Thanks Carol! ;-) Bo

Spring M Fricks said...

This book sounds great. I'm going to get it. I've been searching for kid's Christmas books and this is perfect. Thanks

Dawn Marie said...

thank you from me to for helping us pick out some great books for the holiday. I hope to make it out to the bookstore later today after our winter storm passes thru.

Terrie's Lil' Piece of Serenity said...

Carol, It's nice of you to share which books you recommend for the kids. Hugs, Terrie

Jenni said...

This looks like a wonderful book! I love having Christmas books to read every year. :) One of my favorites is "The Small One", which is a real tear-jerker, and every child was quiet for this book when my husband read it the other night! :)

Thank you for this book recommendation; I will definitely have to check it out! :)

Sonya Lee Thompson said...

Thank you for these suggestion! My kids love it when I read to them. I can get so busy this time of year, but I always enjoy when I can just slow down and read with my kdis. :)

Sonya

Lynne (lynnesgiftsfromtheheart) said...

Thank you Carol. I don't think we can have enough books. Thanks for sharing. Happy Holidays! ~lynne~

the voice of melody said...

It sounds like a beautiful and moving story. {hugs}