Friday, November 7, 2008

Sewing. . .

Time to start sewing again!
I started sewing way back in junior high home economics. Our big sewing project was making an apron. I remember picking out the fabric with my Mom at J C Penney, where my Dad worked. I still have that apron tucked away in a memory box, it was a terrible sewing attempt, but I wanted to keep it as a reminder.


My Mom & Grandmas were wonderful seamstresses. Almost 100% of our clothing was sewn by them. I started making a lot of my own clothing in college during my summer vacations with the money I earned at my summer job, checking groceries.

As the years went by I sewed fewer & fewer garments for myself. I started getting crafty in 1980 sewing dolls, pillows, hoop pictures, & all sorts of other items. I started selling my creations at craft shows and continued doing so for many years. I even operated a craft shop in the mid '80s. In the late '80s I was selling crafts in 6 different craft malls. Wow, it was a lot of work and not much money. If hard work made you a millionaire I should be one! LOL I started teaching school again in 1987, I just couldn't keep up the pace, and got really burned out with crafting on the retail level.



After I no longer had craft booths to stock I did a lot of applique work on towels & sweatshirts for gift giving & for friends who requested items. I also did tons of monogramming.




Here is my Bernina sewing machine that I have had for 25 years. The only thing I've used it for the past several years is sewing on missing buttons & repairing ripped seams.



Yesterday, Bobby helped me get my large sewing table out of the attic & reattach the legs. I've got to buy a sewing lamp & get all my supplies ready. I'm not sure what my first project will be. I think I'll go look at some pattern books & fabric for inspiration. I know for sure that I want to make some baby things for little Ethan's room before his arrival in a few months.


6 comments:

Stacey said...

Sewing is a gift...I don't have it!! You will probably really enjoy it this winter.

Melissa Miller said...

I remember the craft shows so well! I worked in retail jewelry at malls for years and they would set up every weekend. I could tell how hard they worked at it. I have never been able to sew but my Grandma did. She would make us matching dresses for Easter. :)

Picket said...

Girl I am in awe of anyone that can sew!!!! Hubby bought me a sewing machine a few months ago and I set up a little table in one of the closets (yes I am a closet sewer) so far I have made some pillows and little aprons for my 3 yr old granddaughter...just the look on her face when I gave them to her was worth gold! lol Have a great day and let those creative juices flow!

Happy To Be/ Gl♥ria said...

Oh can't wait to see what you create just know it will be super girl..Now don't let that Picket fool you I seen cushions she made for her porch furniture that are to die for...Have a Great day...Hugs and smiles Gloria

Melissa Miller said...

Hi Carol! I have an award for you to pick up at my blog when you have time.
Warmly, Melissa

the voice of melody said...

There's your inspiration: making baby things! Have fun looking at the pattern books and fabrics. How I wish I could sew...

Many sweet blessings!