Sunday, October 19, 2008

Simple Sundays. . .


When I was growing up Sundays were simple, calm, & restful. In our family going to church on Sunday morning & night was the norm not the exception. We always ate dinner at our house or one of the grandparents' homes. After the kitchen was clean & tidy it was time to rest & relax. Stores were closed, there was no place to shop. So what did we do? Most Sunday afternoons everyone took a nap. Dad worked 6 days a week & always looked forward to taking it easy. Occasionally we would drive out of town to visit a relative. My grandma Minnie liked for us to take her to see people. We very seldom called ahead to see if the person we were going to see was home, we would just take off. As expected, the person would be home, because that was just a way of life on Sunday. After all Sunday is supposed to be a day of rest, right? Maybe it's time for us to go back to simple Sundays. . .

Today we are going to visit my Uncle Jack & Aunt Lucille after lunch. It will be about a 2 hour drive. By the way, I called ahead & they are going to be home!Uncle Jack was my dad's only sibling. He is very good about e-mailing & staying in touch. The last time we saw them was at Bobby & Kari's wedding 3 years ago. We're looking forward to seeing them.


This is a sweet picture of my dad on the left, & Uncle Jack. I love this picture!

I will post pictures tomorrow of our trip. Enjoy your day of rest! ;>)

4 comments:

Stacey said...

Have a fun trip. We saw Jack and Lucille yesterday. :)

Mary said...

girl, you got me... (tears)....with the pic of dad and Uncle Jack. Have a good time, looking ward to hearing about your visit. Have a safe journey
Love you
M

tincanlily said...

Sounds like you are going to have a nice Sunday visit. We don't do enough visiting...
Good luck with your new camera...
I bought salad plates like yours at TJ Maxx Thursday. I want to use them with my white dishes for Thanksgiving.
denise

Liz Harrell said...

What a sweet picture, and nice comments about Sundays. I remember calm Sundays, but here lately they seem crazy and rushed.